Hello everyone, and happy Wednesday. Today, I’m so excited to introduce you all to one of my personal favorite bloggers out there: Nicole of Treasure Tromp! Nicole’s blog is all about the awesome things in life – happiness, adventure, travel, and planning a wedding from across the globe! I’m sure you’ll love Nicole just as much as I do.
1. Tell us a little about your blog, Treasure Tromp!
My blog started as a way to document my attempts at finding life’s hidden treasures … and as a way to distract myself from my PhD program in psychology (don’t tell my professors). When I’m not working on research and program evaluations I love to pretend that I am a world traveler, hike and camp, obsess over hedgehogs, and make a mess in the kitchen. Latest adventure? I’m living in South Africa through December with my fiancé!
2. Where do you turn for inspiration for your blog posts?
The inspiration for most of my posts comes from my desire to explore, adventure, and travel. Not only do I enjoy documenting my travel experiences, I also like to push myself to explore and adventure every day. My posts are also a place for me to connect with others. Living abroad is difficult. Living abroad with few connections is hard. Connecting with other people, especially fellow adventurers, looking for connections online makes it easier.And so my inspiration for blogging is to stay connected. To my family and friends in the US. To my blog friends around the world. To myself. And to the love of exploring.
3. Not only did you find Mr. Right, he even put a ring on it! How did your special guy pop the question?!
Everything about the day was perfect for us. He proposed during after we finished a hike around our favorite camping spot. He even got down on one knee even though we were on the side of a small mountain! I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
4. You’re currently planning a wedding from the other side of the world! How do you manage the stress of wedding planning with the joy of being engaged?
Ha, excellent question! Planning a wedding from foreign country is tricky! When I first started planning I had no idea how much fun it would be (thank goodness for pinterest)! I’ve managed to balance stress and joy by telling myself to trust that it will all come together. I had hoped to have had more planned by this point but I’m okay that planning has moved a bit slower than anticipated. The name of the game is flexibility 🙂
5. Your love for travel and adventure are more than evident in your blog! What are some of your favorite places that you’ve traveled to? Some of the best adventures you’ve had?
New Zealand and Japan were two of my absolute favorites but for very different reasons. Few places can beat the natural beauty of New Zealand, while the history of Japan is beyond captivating. One of my favorite adventures, however, was when I allowed myself to have a spontaneous adventure while in Denmark. I had planned out the whole day only to find that everywhere I wanted to go was closed! Instead of getting upset about it, I bought a roundtrip ticket and hopped on a train hoping that good things would follow. It was one of the best days!
6. You’ve shared some great posts about happiness. What are your top 10 happy things that you channel when the going gets tough?
I love a good happy list! The following things always put me in a good mood when the going gets tough: sushi dates, soaking up the sunshine, watching Arrested Development, playing a little Katamari, cute hedgehogs, lots of cuddles, indulging in a great beer or wine, fresh flowers, listening to the perfect playlist, and remembering that I have an awesome life, complete with an amazing partner, wonderful family, and fantastic friends.
7. You’ve started an amazing series all about organization and finding balance. What advice do you have to someone looking to become a more organized blogger?
While it may not work for everybody, I have found that creating a schedule and sticking with it to be the best way for me to stay organized as a blogger. Not only do I have an editorial calendar with a month’s worth of posts planned, I also stick to a schedule in terms of how much time I allow myself to blog. Like most bloggers, I’ve got a lot of things going on in my life and if I’m not careful, blogging can take over! Following a schedules allows me to keep on top of blogging while making sure that I actually have a life outside of blogging 🙂
8. The first time I read your blog, I instantly feel in love just as so many other readers did! What advice to you have for a new blogger looking to grow his or her readership?
Connect, connect, connect! While there are a ton of different ways to grow and maintain a blog, I think that connecting with other bloggers and building community is most important. Read other blogs and leave comments! Connect with others on social media! Facilitate discussion on your blog! By connecting with others and creating community, you create a space that people want to visit.
9. You shared an at-home workout routine with us a while ago. What tips do you have for someone managing a busy schedule, who can’t seem to find the time to get in shape?
I tell myself that even a little bit is better than nothing. The at-home workout routine that I do takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending on the day. If I have 5-15 minutes to spend reading blogs each day then I have 5-15 minutes to exercise and thank my body!